4 Practical Tips When Moving Your Elderly Parents In With You
September 21st, 2023
That’s a big change. And it can be difficult to navigate all of the nuances involved — health, financial, social… etc.
At Evergreen Home Buyers, we’ve seen many sons and daughters move in with their parents to help them in their later years.
Sometimes it goes well. Sometimes it doesn’t.
So, we thought we’d offer some quick advice for those of you who are going through this process…
1. Consider & Address Disabilities — As your parents age, they may start to experience some form of disability.
This can be anything from hearing loss to dementia. And it’s important to have a plan in place to address these disabilities.
Some common solutions include:
- Installing a home elevator
- Making changes to the layout of the house to accommodate wheelchairs
- Installing specialized medical equipment for mobility issues
2. Get Professional Help — If your parents have more complex health problems, it’s a good idea to consult with a professional who specializes in helping families navigate this type of transition.
This person can help you assess the situation and come up with a plan that will address any specific needs your parents have.
3. Communicate, Communicate, Communicate — One of the most important things you can do when making this transition is to communicate with your parents.
This includes asking what their needs and wants are and keeping them updated on any changes that are happening.
You should also let them know what they can expect during the transition, including any services and support they’ll need.
4. Finally, you'll need to figure out what you're going to do with your parent's home. If you’d like to sell it quickly for a fair cash price, give us a call at (904) 342-3216. You pick the closing date and we pay all closing costs to make this process as simple as possible.
Hope this helps you navigate a tricky and delicate time of life!